Last updated on September 12th, 2023 at 03:05 am
All Tesla models have a GPS feature that tracks the location of your vehicle any day, anytime.
The GPS feature can help you determine traffic conditions and estimated time of arrival to a destination you wish to get to.
However, if you don’t want the GPS feature, you can disable it. That leads you to ask; How do you disable location on your Tesla?
You can easily disable location on your Tesla by turning off mobile access from the main screen. You can also turn off location tracking by disconnecting the GPS antenna from the vehicle or using a GPS jammer.
In this article, I will explain how to turn off your Tesla location and delete your car’s location history.
You’ll also learn about the pros and cons of disabling location on your Tesla.
How Do You Turn Off Location on a Tesla?
You can turn off location on your Tesla in two ways. They include:
- Turn off mobile access from inside the car
- Disconnect the GPS antennae
#1. Turn off Mobile Access From Inside the Car
- Go to the main screen of your Tesla
- Navigate to “quick controls and safety” and click on it
- Turn off “allow mobile access,” and location tracking on your Tesla will automatically turn off.
- Alongside turning off your’s Tesla’s location, it may restrict you from using some features when you turn off mobile access.
If you later decide to activate location tracking, you can easily navigate back to the main screen of your Tesla and toggle on the mobile access feature.
#2. Disconnect the GPS Antennae
You can turn off location tracking on your Tesla by disconnecting the GPS antennae from your vehicle.
However, this method should be your last resort as it can cause your car to suffer long-term damage.
An alternative to disconnecting the GPS antennae from your Tesla is to use a GPS jammer. A GPS jammer is a device you can use to hide the location of your Tesla.
The GPS jammer will cause interference by sending radio waves similar to the frequency of the waves from the GPS device.
#3. How to Use a GPS Jammer
- First, Insert your GPS jammer into your car’s automotive auxiliary power outlet. You can find this outlet.
- You can find this outlet at the center console’s rear compartment, where the GPS tracker of your vehicle lies.
One thing to note is that GPS jamming is illegal in some countries. So if you need to use a GPS jammer in your location, you must ensure it isn’t illegal there.
Here is a table showing the legality of GPS jamming in some countries
|Country||Legal or Illegal|
|The United States||Illegal|
#4. Penalties for illegal GPS jamming in Several Countries
Here are the penalties for GPS jamming in Canada:
- As an individual, you’ll have to settle a fine of up to $5000. You may also need to spend some years in prison.
- As a corporation, you’ll need to settle a fine of up to 25000 dollars.
- You’ll have to hand over the devices involved in the GPS jamming to the authorities.
#2. United Kingdom
Here are the penalties for GPS jamming in the united kingdom:
- You’ll have to settle an unlimited fine
- You can get imprisoned for up to two years
#3. United States
- You’d have to settle some amount as fine
- You will probably get a prison sentence
- You’ll have to hand over the devices involved in the GPS jamming to the authorities
- You can get sentenced to 12 or 15 years in prison
- You may have to settle a fine of up to $165,000 or spend some years in prison.
Can You Disable Tesla Location from the App?
No, you cannot disable Tesla’s location from the mobile app. The only feature that will allow you to disable the location of your Tesla is the mobile access feature.
Once you turn off your Tesla mobile access, the vehicle’s location will automatically get disabled. You can find the mobile access feature on your Tesla’s main screen.
Navigate to “quick controls and safety” on the screen and click on it. You’ll see an option to toggle off the mobile access feature on your Tesla.
You can also disable the location of your Tesla by disconnecting the GPS antennae from the car. However, you should avoid doing this because it can affect your car’s operating system.
A GPS jammer is an excellent alternative to disconnecting your Tesla’s GPS jammer. The GPS jammer sends radio signals similar to Tesla’s GPS device, thereby creating interference.
However, before you use a GPS jammer, you have to ensure there won’t be penalties for doing that in your area.
GPS jammers are illegal in countries like Mexico, the united states, turkey, Canada, the united kingdom, etc.
How to Delete Location History on a Tesla?
Here are steps on how to delete location history on your Tesla:
- Go to the navigation search bar on your Tesla’s main screen
- Go to the lists of destinations and hold down on the destination you wish to delete until “X” appears
- Click on the “X” to delete the destination
Pros and Cons of Disabling Location on Your Tesla
Here are the pros of disabling location on your Tesla:
- You won’t be visible to other users of the Tesla app
- If you want to surprise someone, disabling your location will help you carry out your plan effectively
- If you need to hide from someone, disabling your location is the way to go about it
Disabling your Tesla’s location depends on your choice. As much as it seems beneficial, some disadvantages come with disabling the location.
Here are the cons of disabling your Tesla’s location:
- You won’t be able to track your car if it gets stolen
- If you disable your location by disconnecting the GPS antenna from the car, your car might sustain long-term damage.
- You won’t be able to access features like getting to know traffic conditions or estimated arrival time to a particular location.
- You might get in trouble if you disable your location using a GPS jammer in a place where it is prohibited.
What Happens When you Turn Off the Mobile Access of Your Tesla?
You automatically disable location tracking of your Tesla when you turn off the mobile access. As a result, all other Tesla app users will not be able to see your car’s location.
Can Tesla Owners Track Their Cars?
Yes, Tesla owners can track their cars. The GPS tracking feature on the teals helps you determine where your Tesla is at any time using the Tesla app.
How Do GPS Jammers Hide the Location of Your Tesla?
GPS jammers create radio signals similar to Tesla’s GPS device to create interference and confuse the car’s location.
Is GPS Jamming Illegal?
The legal actions against GPS jamming depend on your location. GPS jamming is illegal in countries like Canada, Mexico, the United States, the United Kingdom, etc.
Hey, I’m Michael Davis, a 35-year-old with a degree and a love for cars and tech. Since I was a kid, cars have been my thing—so much that I even thought they ran on magic beans! Fast forward, and I’ve built Vehicle Army, your one-stop-shop for easy-to-understand car facts.