Last updated on April 18th, 2023 at 11:17 pm
The car ceiling, or headliner, is easily the most ignored part of a vehicle. But, eventually, it will collect dirt and stains, retaining unpleasant smells.
So, cleaning your headliner is just as essential as cleaning your car. However, your regular car cleaning routine doesn’t apply here as you’ll need to be extra careful, especially with tough stains.
This cleaning can be challenging. So, in this article, you’ll find an extensive guide on cleaning your Tesla headliner properly.
You can clean your Tesla headliner with these three steps: spot cleaning, surface cleaning, and deep cleaning. Spot cleaning is most effective for headliners with a couple of problem spots, while surface and deep cleaning help with prominent and tougher stains. However, which works better for you will depend on the amount of dirt and grime on your Tesla headliner.
In this guide, I’ll take you through cleaning your headliner. You’ll undoubtedly see some changes when you finish cleaning.
3 Steps to Clean a Tesla Headliner
While there are several ways to clean your headliner, the following steps are more effective.
#1. Spot Cleaning
This type of cleaning is more suitable when there’s minimal dirt or stains on your headliner.
So, follow these steps to achieve a spotless headliner.
- Take out the loose dirt particles stuck on your Tesla headliner by scrubbing it with a brush or wiping it off with a microfiber cloth.
- Dampen an area of the microfiber cloth lightly with your cleaner. Then, carefully wipe off the stain with a damp cloth.
- Lastly, with a dry microfiber cloth, blot excess moisture on the stained area and allow it to dry completely. Wait a few minutes to see if the stain is gone.
Since you’re cleaning only the stained area, you should only apply your car ceiling cleaner to the stained area. So, be careful not to let the cleaner soak in too deep.
#2. Surface Cleaning
If you have stains spread over a larger area of your headliner or if the spot cleaning wasn’t helpful, it’s always best to consider surface cleaning.
So, try surface cleaning for a more thorough cleaning of your headliner with the following steps:
- Spray your cleaner all over the entire headliner. Refrain from excessive spraying to prevent it from soaking the fabric of your headliner.
- Give the cleaner a few minutes to work its magic.
- With a soft-bristle brush, brush the headliner gently. If you don’t scrub properly, there’s a chance the stains may appear once it dries off.
- Allow the area to dry completely. You can achieve this faster by blotting the moisture off with a microfiber cloth. The stain should be completely gone when it’s dry.
- However, if the stain persists, repeat steps one through four, as some stains may require a second cleaning.
- Nevertheless, if there’s no improvement after the second surface cleaning, you’ll need to deep clean your Tesla headliner.
#3. Deep Cleaning
If surface cleaning your vehicle headliner doesn’t yield any results, you’ll need to try deep cleaning your headliner.
Of course, you should skip surface cleaning for deep cleaning right away, but you shouldn’t.
Deep cleaning should be your last resort. As deep cleaning if not done correctly, deep cleaning could wreck your car’s headliner.
You are causing damage to the glue holding your headliner in place and leading to a sagging headliner.
So, for deep cleaning, you’ll be required to;
- Heat your steam cleaner following the instructions manual of your vehicle. Once it’s heated, it’s time to get to work.
- Begin steaming your vehicle in sections when the steam fills your Tesla. Try holding the steamer for a few seconds to eliminate tough stains and odors.
- Using a microfiber cloth or soft-bristled brush, gently scrub off loose dirt particles. You can also use a vacuum cleaner for convenience.
- Allow your headliner to dry correctly to prevent mold from growing and the adhesive from falling off. To speed up the dry process, try opening your windows and doors.
- After cleaning and drying your headliner, you may notice some tracks. You can get rid of this by gently running your head over them after your headliner is completely dry.
It would help if you always took care when deep cleaning your headliner, as the more the steam passes through, the more the headliner glue melts.
This will undoubtedly result in a drooping headliner over time.
How to Remove Stains on a Tesla Headliner?
Top on your list for removing stains on your headliner should be an effective upholstery cleaner, as they’ll determine if you can get rid of the stains. Additionally, using the right products will also be ideal.
Here are some steps you can follow;
- First, clean your headliner gently with a cloth to ease off any dust particles.
- Then, apply your cleaner directly on the brush and scrub the entire stained area for a few seconds or minutes (depending on the type of stain).
- For deep stains, brush the entire surface while spraying it with a low-moisture steamer.
- Wipe off the stained area with a microfiber towel. It would be best if you used a clean microfiber cloth/towel or vacuum cleaner (as the case may be).
- You can also use a fan to ensure the area dries off completely.
For better context, the table below shows the top headliner cleaning products and how you can use them.
|Cleaning Product||How to Use|
|Chemical upholstery super cleaner||Spritz evenly across the headliner.|
|Microfiber towels/cloth||Wipe off debris and excess liquids while cleaning.|
|Soft-bristled or brush||Brush against the fabric of your headliner and all areas sprayed.|
|Steam cleaner||Shoot streams of low moisture steam while scrubbing off stains from your headliner.|
|Vacuum cleaner||Remove residue dust or dirt after cleaning.|
What Do You Need to Clean a Headliner In Tesla?
The cleaning products you’ll need for your Tesla headliner vary from a simple microfiber cloth to a big cleaner like a steam or vacuum cleaner.
So, you’ll need the following tools to clean your Tesla headliner thoroughly.
#1. Microfiber Cloth or Towel
A microfiber cloth is cleaning tool 101 for headliners. So, whether you plan on cleaning just a particular stained area or the entire surface of your car ceiling, you’ll need a microfiber cloth.
Thus, if you want an adequately cleaned headliner, you’ll need to use a microfiber cloth/towel at some point. If you’re yet to purchase a microfiber cloth set, try doing so today.
#2. Soft-Bristled Interior Brush
Like a microfiber cloth, a brush is essential for cleaning your headliner.
You’ll need it for the following:
- Removing loose dirt particles during spot cleaning.
- Scrub the entire surface of the headliner during surface cleaning.
- Steam washing while deep cleaning.
#3. Super Cleaner/Spray Bottle
Generally, for all cleaning purposes, the type of cleaner you need will depend on the type and depth of the stain. And this also applies to headliners.
To be economical, you can use upholstery cleaners for a water-based stain like coffee.
Nevertheless, you can make a DIY cleaning solution with water, liquid soap, and vinegar (ideally white vinegar).
Furthermore, you can find these solutions in two types which are either ready-to-use or concentrated.
So, you’ll need a spray bottle to dilute the solution, primarily if the cleaner’s concentration is high.
However, since the interior of your Tesla is plastic, it would be best to avoid using harsh cleaners.
#4. Steam Cleaner
A steam cleaner is most helpful for grimy and smelly spots on a headliner. It’s also a must-have tool for removing odors and stubborn stains.
Steam cleaners are efficient in removing tough stains. Also, the heat it emits and the right cleaning solution will eliminate rank odors.
#5. Vacuum Cleaner
Having a vacuum cleaner falls between a good to have and mandatory equipment for cleaning.
And when cleaning your car headliner, vacuum cleaners help to thoroughly clean and collect those loose dirt particles.
How Often Should You Clean Your Tesla Headliner?
Regular cleaning is essential, so always make a significant effort to keep your headliner clean. So, cleaning your headliner at least once a month is ideal.
However, if there’s a stain that you need to wipe off, it’s always best to attend to it to avoid it spreading to a larger area of your car’s headliner.
It’s always best to wipe off stains and residues from your headliner as soon as you notice them.
For a minor stain, you can easily use a warm-water and dampened cloth to clean it off. However, it would help if you tried a deep clean for large dirt or chemical residue as soon as possible.
Cleaning the headliner can be time-consuming and overwhelming for some people, especially if you lead a hectic life with an even busier schedule.
Thus, you can always contact Tesla’s car cleaning service to get a more professional job done.
Additionally, contacting a professional would be especially helpful if you need the job of cleaning your headliner tasking.
Doing this would help avoid any damage you may do to your vehicle while cleaning yourself.
Hey, I’m Michael Davis, a 35-year-old with a degree and a love for cars and tech. Since I was a kid, cars have been my thing—so much that I even thought they ran on magic beans! Fast forward, and I’ve built Vehicle Army, your one-stop-shop for easy-to-understand car facts.